Goodnow Mountain Fire Tower
US 537, NY 24

Lookout Details

Registry Numbers US 537, NY 24 (view other lookouts in United States, New York)
Date Registered December 4, 2003
Location Essex County, New York
Coordinates N 43° 57.610' W 074° 12.590' (view using Google Maps)
N 43° 57' 37" W 074° 12' 35"
N 43.960170° W 074.209830°
Elevation 2,690 ft (820 m)
Administered by NY Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Cooperators College of Environmental Science and Forestry at Syracuse University and Town of Newcomb, New York

Description

The 60’ Aermotor LS-40 tower with 7’x7’ metal cab on Goodnow Mountain was built by the NY Dept. of Conservation in 1922 and staffed until 1970 when fire towers were gradually phased out. Located near the heart of the Adirondack Forest Preserve, it is reached by a 3 mile trail to a 2,690’ peak on the 5,000 acre Huntington Forest owned by the College of Environmental Science and Forestry at Syracuse University. The College and the Town of Newcomb partnered an exemplary restoration effort in 1995.

Additional information and photos courtesy of Bill Starr, NHLR Registrar: "This site is on land owned by the State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry and is attached to the Huntington Forest in Newcomb. This land was originally logged by the Huntingtons', and an old two stall horse barn, and concrete slab of another building for the logging operations are past on the foot trail to the fire tower. The tower has been restored by SUNY-ESF, and is open to the public. The station is registered on the National Register of Historic Places, and the National Historic Lookout Register."

Map

Change Basemap

Photos

May 2002 (Bill Starr photo)

May 2002 (Bill Starr photo)

May 2002--Model 1928 Cabin (Bill Starr photo)

May 2002--Model 1928 Cabin (Bill Starr photo)