Pillsbury Mountain Fire Tower
US 645, NY 27

Lookout Details

Registry Numbers US 645, NY 27 (view other lookouts in United States, New York)
Date Registered July 31, 2005
Location Town of Arietta
Hamilton County, New York
Coordinates N 43° 34.883' W 074° 30.662' (view using Google Maps)
N 43° 34' 53" W 074° 30' 40"
N 43.581380° W 074.511030°
Elevation 3,597 ft (1,096 m)
Built 1924
Administered by NY Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Cooperators NY Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Description

Constructed in 1924, the 60' Aermotor Model LS-40 tower, with a 9' high cab, is typical of the "heavier type" tower with integral shaircase built by the Conservation Commission between 1917 and 1950. The structure consists of a square steel and glass cab with a hip roof enclosing the observation platform atop a riveted and bolted frame of angular steel.

Additional information courtesy of Bill Starr, NHLR State Registrar: "This was the fire tower at which I worked in the late 1970s. The station was first established in 1918 by the land owner of the time, the Champlain Reality Company. The facility was equipped with a wood tower made from mountain top timbers, and a log cabin was built to house an observer. The station was operated by the company in conjunction with Forest Fire Control as a secondary station during periods of dry weather. In 1924 operation of the facility was turned over to the state. The company purchased the steel tower, and had it erected, before the station was turned over to Forest Fire Control. Today the tower houses, and supports a solar powered two-way radio repeater, and the cab is closed to the public. Excellent views are still possible from the top landing of the fire tower. This is the only fire tower in which a person can see West Canada Lakes. In 2005 minor restoration work was performed."

Map

Change Basemap

Photos

Tower facility 9/10/2005 (by Bill Starr)

Tower facility 9/10/2005 (by Bill Starr)

Model 1941 cabin (Bill Starr photo)

Model 1941 cabin (Bill Starr photo)