Sugar Hill Fire Tower
US 16, NY 2

Lookout Details

Registry Numbers US 16, NY 2 (view other lookouts in United States, New York)
Date Registered April 2, 1991
Nominated by George Ezzo, Regional Ranger, NY State Dept. of Environmental; Conservation
Location Schuyler County, New York
Coordinates N 42° 23.219' W 077° 00.153' (view using Google Maps)
N 42° 23' 13" W 077° 00' 09"
N 42.386975° W 077.002553°
Elevation 2,090 ft (637 m)
Administered by New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Cooperators NY Forest Owners Association

Description

This 67'6" International Derrick model 1937 tower was erected in 1941 by CCC, staffed by volunteers until 1951, and then by the State until 1979. Maintained by the NYS-DEC, it is a popular forest recreation area.

Additional information courtesy of Bill Starr: "In 1922 the old Bureau of Forest Fire Control began constructing standard design ground cabins at all New York State fire towers. This standard design saw four official modifications reaching the final design in 1941 with a 16 ft X 24 ft rustic style cabin. After all of New York's fire towers were decommissioned in 1990 many of the various ground cabins were lost forever due to vandalism. Most of the surviving grounds cabin found today are in a variety of disrepair, excluding the sites were the facilities have been restored. The model 1941 Observer's cabin at the Sugar Hill fire tower stands out as a cabin in nearly mint condition. Excluding the installations of an electrical service, eve gutters and swapping the bedroom and kitchen around inside the cabin the Sugar Hill cabin retains all of the subtle features not found on most of the ground cabins today. Most notably is the entrance door on the cabin, it has not been kicked in and the door retains the original wrought iron latch and lock-set which was install during it's construction. Also still intact on the entrance door is the small peep window and decorative wrought iron hinge extensions. The original style window shutters still exist along with the wrought iron decorative hinges and holders to keep the shutters open. Many thanks must go out to the staff of the Dept of Environmental Conservation - Region 8 for preserving the Sugar Hill cabin as a treasure of the state's rich forest fire control history. Anyone interested in seeing an Observer's ground cabin in mint condition is urged to visit the Sugar Hill site."

Map

Change Basemap

Photos

1966 (NYS-DEC photo, courtesy Bill Starr)

1966 (NYS-DEC photo, courtesy Bill Starr)

June 6, 2009 (courtesy Bill Starr)

June 6, 2009 (courtesy Bill Starr)

June 6, 2009 (courtesy Bill Starr)

June 6, 2009 (courtesy Bill Starr)

June 6, 2009 (courtesy Bill Starr)

June 6, 2009 (courtesy Bill Starr)

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR 
	State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR 
	State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR 
	State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR 
	State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR 
	State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR 
	State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR 
	State Registrar

Photos of cabin taken June 6, 2009 by Bill Starr, NHLR State Registrar