Wanoga Butte Lookout - 2006
|Registry Numbers||US 147, OR 23 (view other lookouts in United States, Oregon)|
|Date Registered||January 16, 1996|
|Nominated by||Ron Johnson, FFLA|
High Desert Museum
Deschutes County, Oregon
N 43° 57.970' W 121° 20.598' (view using Google Maps)
N 43° 57' 58" W 121° 20' 36"
N 43.966170° W 121.343300°
|Elevation||4,037 ft (1,230 m)|
|Administered by||U.S. Forest Service|
|Cooperators||Bend-Fort Rock Ranger District|
Built in 1932, Wanoga Butte Lookout is another vintage L-4 hip-roof cab with catwalk atop a 30’ pole tower located on the Deschutes National Forest in central Oregon. The garage was built in 1933. The original ponderosa pine tower legs were replaced with tamarack poles in 1953. During a period of time from July 10 and July 15, 2006, a crew of volunteers dismantled the tower. The cabin was bundled and stored at the High Desert Museum for later reconstruction. The tower was cut up and all hardware salvaged for future restorations and was moved to the High Desert Museum in 2006.