Photo courtesy of Kristin Reynolds
|Registry Numbers||US 1191, VA 38 (view other lookouts in United States, Virginia)|
|Date Registered||April 27, 2017|
|Nominated by||Kristin Reynolds|
|Location||Spotsylvania County, Virginia|
N 38° 12.767' W 077° 43.467' (view using Google Maps)
N 38° 12' 46" W 077° 43' 28"
N 38.212778° W 077.724444°
|Elevation||423 ft (129 m)|
|Administered by||Private (formerly Virginia Department of Forestry)|
This 80-foot Aermotor tower was built in February 1928. It was the second tower named Chancellor to be built in Spotsylvania County. The property it is on is a beautiful wooded lot that was originally intended to be small neighborhoods but the funds for such never came to allow that to happen. The tower was open to the public for visits in the 1920s and 1930s. It was manned until the late 1960s. The most special feature of this tower is the inscription in the concrete at the bottom of the stairs up the tower: "Prevent Forest Fires." It appears to be the only tower so inscribed.