Photo courtesy of William Jon McCann
|Registry Numbers||US 1732, VT 8 (view other lookouts in United States, Vermont)|
|Date Registered||June 19, 2023|
|Nominated by||William Jon McCann|
Okemo State Forest
Rutland County, Vermont
N 43° 24.249' W 072° 45.094' (view using Google Maps)
N 43° 24' 15" W 072° 45' 06"
N 43.404150° W 072.751572°
|Elevation||3,343 ft (1,019 m)|
|Administered by||Vermont Department of Forest, Parks and Recreation|
In 1921, the State of Vermont acquired two acres of land from the Black River Lumber Company at the summit of Ludlow Mountain in Mount Holly for the purpose of creating a “fire lookout station.” The original tower, built with assistance from the Okemo Mountain Club in 1924, stood 30 feet tall and was constructed of wood.
In 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps began work on a new 60-foot tall steel tower which was completed around 1937. A three-room cabin for the warden was located at the base of the tower. This cabin was completely removed in 1947. In 1943, a new 18'x24' watchman's cabin was constructed 100 feet away from the tower. In 1951, a stone chimney was built for the lookout cabin and this is all that remains of the cabin today.
In 2010, a contractor was hired to paint the tower’s stairway, replace 10 steps, install ground wires, install a railing in the tower cab, reinforce the landing floors, and install a chain link fence along the stairs and around the landings. In 2012, the remains of the old tower roof were removed and a new steel plate roof was installed thanks to the generosity of Okemo Mountain Resort.
1921 Wood Tower
Early photo of the present steel tower