July 2017 photo
|Registry Numbers||US 1248, WI 43 (view other lookouts in United States, Wisconsin)|
|Date Registered||August 28, 2017|
|Nominated by||Tyler Bormann|
|Location||Marathon County, Wisconsin|
N 44° 56.762' W 089° 20.752' (view using Google Maps)
N 44° 56' 46" W 089° 20' 45"
N 44.946031° W 089.345869°
|Elevation||1,501 ft (458 m)|
|Administered by||Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources|
This 94-foot tower features an inside corner ladder and appears to be an Aermotor. Built in 1951 and historically named “N” Tower, it was renamed Matson in 2005 to honor John Kenneth Matson (Ken). Ken worked 45 years as a DNR fire lookout with the majority spent in N/Matson Tower. He climbed until he was 81 years old. Matson Tower was staffed intermittently during spring fire season through 2009 and continued to be used as a radio tower for Marathon County until approximately 2012.