Hayden Hill Lookout - 2008
|Registry Numbers||US 1375, CA 198 (view other lookouts in United States, California)|
|Date Registered||October 30, 2019|
|Nominated by||Brad Eells|
Big Valley Museum Grounds - Bieber, California
Lassen County, California
N 41° 07.336' W 121° 08.301' (view using Google Maps)
N 41° 07' 20" W 121° 08' 18"
N 41.122263° W 121.138352°
|Elevation||4,136 ft (1,261 m)|
|Administered by||Big Valley Historical Museum - Bieber, California|
|Cooperators||California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection - Lassen-Modoc Unit (Cal Fire LMU)|
The site was withdrawn for Administrative use in 1912 and structure stood by 1915.
Hayden Hill Lookout was constructed in 1940 and is described as a California Region 5 Plan BC-301 cabin on a 10 foot enclosed timber tower in both of Thornton's surveys. The high peak roof is more reminiscent of the California Plan 4AR, so the structure may be a hybrid of some kind.
This facility was previously identified by the Forest Service and the California Office of Historic Preservation as eligible for the National Register. Notwithstanding this finding, these agencies, along with CDF and Lassen County, determined that the Silver State Mining Corporation's proposed 20 year, multimillion dollar, open pit operation is of greater importance than the historic significance of either the Hayden Hill Lookout or the Hayden Hill Historic Mining District. The lookout is to be placed in the boneyard of the Bieber Museum. Most of the mining district resources have already been disposed of. As of 1991, this lookout was one of the best examples of an L-101 tower with BC-301 cab still in existence in California. The cab featured vinyl flooring over the original T&G, T&G paneling, original built-in cabinets (both below and above the windows). In fact, the structure only had one window replaced, a shower cubical added (to the north wall), new counter tops and a few other cosmetic alterations which slightly diminished its integrity. Farewell, Hayden Hill.
The mountain is to be excavated for gold. An open pit, some 5 miles from paved road, will greet the travelers and historians of the future. (MVT 10/91)
In March 1991, the Lassen County Times reported; "The supervisors last week approved a request from museum board member Carl Parks to relocate the Hayden Hill fire lookout tower from its present site to the Bieber Museum grounds. The 2-story tower has been declared a historical site, according to Parks, even while it remains in operation.
To preserve this piece of the county's past, the museum plans to relocate the tower and protect it inside a 6-foot high chain link fence enclosure. Amax Gold, whose Lassen Gold Mining subsidiary is currently in the midst of developing the Hayden Hill area, will take care of the actual dismantling, relocating, and reassembling of the tower.
Before that can take place, however, a new tower must be built and made operational, since there cannot by law be a lapse in coverage of the area.
According to company spokesperson Luann Johnson, construction of the new tower will begin as soon as necessary permits are secured.
The supervisors unanimously approved Parks' request to relocate the tower."
The cabin, but not the tower has been reassembled at the Museum and stands today.
Photo courtesy of Modoc National Forest Archive