Bull of the Woods Lookout
|Registry Numbers||US 200, OR 26 (view other lookouts in United States, Oregon)|
|Date Registered||December 30, 1996|
|Nominated by||Ronald R. Johnson, FFLA|
Mt. Hood National Forest
Clackamas County, Oregon
N 44° 53.071' W 122° 05.734' (view using Google Maps)
N 44° 53' 04" W 122° 05' 44"
N 44.884525° W 122.095563°
|Elevation||5,438 ft (1,658 m)|
|Administered by||U.S. Forest Service|
|Cooperators||Clackamas Ranger District, Oregon FFLA & the Sand Mountain Society|
Located on the crest of the Cascade Mountains in the heart of the Wilderness Area of the same name, Bull of the Woods Lookout is a special place. One of a handful of lockouts remaining of the many that once dotted the Mt. Hood National Forest, it is today used occasionally as a backcountry guard station. The first lookout on this site – in the 1920s -- was a small pole and shake cabin. The current classic L-4 cab with catwalk on a 10’ treated timber tower was built in 1942. The tower frame was prefabed at the Zibzag CCC camp. The cab itself was a precut kit provided by the Alladin Co. The structure is historically intact and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Lookout was last staffed in 1963/64.
Bull of the Woods Lookout was tragically lost in the Bull Complex Fire in September 2021.