Fairview Peak Lookout - 2007
|Registry Numbers||US 472, OR 69 (view other lookouts in United States, Oregon)|
|Date Registered||March 1, 2003|
|Nominated by||Danielle Sullivan|
Umpqua National Forest
Lane County, Oregon
N 43° 35.141' W 122° 39.189' (view using Google Maps)
N 43° 35' 08" W 122° 39' 11"
N 43.585681° W 122.653153°
|Elevation||5,857 ft (1,785 m)|
|Administered by||U.S. Forest Service|
|Cooperators||Cottage Grove Ranger District|
|Available for Rental||Yes|
Fairview Peak is located in the Bohemia Mining District southeast of Eugene. An observer's cabin was built on the summit in 1912, followed by an open-air Alidade tower in 1914. A D-6 cupola was built in 1921 at a cost of $876.99, and it was augmented in 1936 by a 30-foot tower with an L-4 cab. The 1921 cupola was retained as a place to stay for visitors before becoming a storage building.
The site was used for an Air Force gap filler radar station from the late 1950s through 1964.
The present 53-foot tower with R-6 cab was built in 1972.
Photo courtesy of Danielle Sullivan