Aeneas Mountain Lookout - 2004
|Registry Numbers||US 118, WA 10 (view other lookouts in United States, Washington)|
|Date Registered||May 1, 1995|
|Nominated by||Ray Kresek, Washington Registrar|
Washington Dept. of Natural Resources - Northeast Division
Okanogan County, Washington
N 48° 44.581' W 119° 37.330' (view using Google Maps)
N 48° 44' 35" W 119° 37' 20"
N 48.743015° W 119.622164°
|Elevation||5,099 ft (1,554 m)|
|Administered by||Washington Dept. of Natural Resources|
|Cooperators||Washington Dept. of Natural Resources|
The first Aeneas Lookout located on this eastern Washington mountain top was a one room log cabin built in 1920 by the U.S. Forest Service. The site has been continuously staffed by observers since then--including Ray Kresek, the authority on lookouts in the Pacific Northwest.
During that time there have been four different structures. The present 40’ wooden tower with a 14’x 14’ flattop live-in cab with catwalk was built by the Washington Dept. of Natural Resources in 1980.
Aeneas was the longest continually staffed lookout in Washington at 104 seasons. The lookout was last staffed in 2020.
Ice covered - 2010