Eugene McCaslin photo
|Registry Numbers||US 1055, WI 5 (view other lookouts in United States, Wisconsin)|
|Date Registered||December 16, 2014|
|Nominated by||Eugene McCaslin|
|Location||Vilas County, Wisconsin|
N 46° 04.002' W 089° 04.679' (view using Google Maps)
N 46° 04' 00" W 089° 04' 41"
N 46.066703° W 089.077976°
|Elevation||1,862 ft (568 m)|
|Administered by||Town of Phelps|
This tower is an Aermotor MC-39 Series tower standing 120 feet tall including a 10-foot tall cabin creating a total height of 132 feet to the peak of the roof. It has 153 steps.
The tower was constructed in 1936, one of 38 Depression-era towers built throughout the Chequamegon Nicolet National Forst. In the early 20th Century, wildfire was rampant throughtout northern Wisconsin as a consequence of unwise havesting methods. Use of the tower ended in 1960.
In 1978, the U.S. Forest Service was approached by Lowell Buell who asked to purchase the Military Hill Fire Lookout Tower. Following purchase it was his his stated desire to donate the tower to the Town of Phelps. On April 11, 1978, Mr. Buell completed this donation.